Current:Home > ContactTradeEdge-Team combs fire-ravaged New Mexico community for remains of the missing -Prime Capital Blueprint
TradeEdge-Team combs fire-ravaged New Mexico community for remains of the missing
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 15:14:59
As residents return to a fire-ravaged village in the mountains of southern New Mexico,TradeEdge the mayor on Monday warned them that some parts of Ruidoso remain off limits as special search and rescue teams comb the charred rubble along the hardest-hit streets.
They’re looking for the remains of people who are still unaccounted for after the South Fork and Salt fires ripped through the area just days ago, killing at least two people, forcing thousands to flee and destroying more than 1,500 structures.
Mayor Lynn Crawford put the number of missing at 29. Village officials said in a Sunday night update that the search teams have identified potential additional fatalities, but any confirmation will have to be made by investigators.
“The search and rescue teams are in there and they’re with canines and so they’re still going property to property to property,” Crawford said during his Monday morning radio address.
With cell service going down during the evacuations last week, it made communication nearly impossible. While service slowly is being restored, some residents said Monday they are still having a difficult time connecting.
The 29 missing people have not been in touch with friends or family since last Monday. The list was larger just a day ago, but village officials have been using social media and working with the American Red Cross to mark evacuees as “safe” as soon as they are heard from.
Authorities have blocked traffic into so-called exclusion zones to ensure these areas remain undisturbed until they are officially cleared. The FBI also is investigating, offering up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrests and convictions of those responsible for the human-caused fires.
The flames were first reported June 17. Within hours, the fires moved through tinder-dry parts of the Sacramento Mountains from Mescalero Apache tribal land toward Ruidoso. Evacuation orders included thousands of homes, businesses and the Ruidoso Downs horse track, prompting traffic jams as people dropped everything and fled.
Village officials estimate that several hundred homes were among the structures destroyed or damaged. Assessments continued Monday as some residents were allowed to return. Images shared on social media showed some homes reduced to ash, only their foundations or fireplaces left standing. Charred vehicles and twisted metal roofs were laying on hillsides where homes once stood.
However, some properties were saved, although the ponderosa pines that once surrounded them had blackened trunks and their needles were singed.
The village has set up temporary housing for about 500 people and food and other supplies were being distributed. Officials were encouraging residents who returned Monday to bring bottled water and a week’s worth of food as some utilities have yet to be restored.
Several dozen members of the New Mexico Army and Air National Guard were stationed in Ruidoso to help. Utility workers also were installing new power poles and stringing wires throughout the community. Workers with the New Mexico Environment Department also were testing the drinking water system.
President Joe Biden issued a disaster declaration for parts of southern New Mexico last Thursday, freeing up funding and resources to help with housing and other emergency work related to the fires.
The two fires have burned about 40 square miles (103.6 square kilometers). Monday brought another day of light rain and higher humidity levels, aiding firefighters as they bolstered lines around the perimeter. Full containment isn’t expected until July 15, according to fire officials.
Officials also warned residents to be mindful of the potential for flash flooding if more rain falls on the bare mountain slopes.
Kerry Gladden, a spokeswoman for the village of Ruidoso, noted that wildfires are nothing new to the Sacramento Mountains. But she called this “a whole other level of devastation.”
“It kind of takes your breath away when you see it,” she told The Associated Press. “And you know, we are resilient and we will rebuild and we will absolutely come back from this. But, boy, it’s hard to see it at this point.”
veryGood! (5751)
Related
- Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
- Power outages hit Boston transit system during morning rush hour, stranding thousands
- Move over, Mediterranean diet. The Atlantic diet is here. Foods, health benefits, explained
- Detecting Russian ‘carrots’ and ‘tea bags': Ukraine decodes enemy chatter to save lives
- Megan Fox's ex Brian Austin Green tells Machine Gun Kelly to 'grow up'
- 3 police officers shot at active scene in D.C. when barricaded suspect opened fire
- A man died from Alaskapox last month. Here's what we know about the virus
- Ranking NFL free agency's top 25 players in 2024: Chiefs' Chris Jones stands above rest
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- Jessica from 'Love is Blind' Season 6 dishes on her explosive last date with Jimmy
Ranking
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- CBS News Valentine's Day poll: Most Americans think they are romantic, but what is it that makes them so?
- The Daily Money: Expect a smaller Social Security bump in 2025
- $5 for desk rent - before inflation: 3rd graders learn hard lessons to gain financial literacy
- Residents worried after ceiling cracks appear following reroofing works at Jalan Tenaga HDB blocks
- Get a Keurig Mini on Sale for Just $59 and Stop Overpaying for Coffee From a Barista
- Cisco Systems to lay off more than 4,000 workers in latest sign of tighter times in tech
- The 'food' you see on-screen often isn't real food. Not so, in 'The Taste of Things'
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Abortion pills that patients got via telehealth and the mail are safe, study finds
'We believe the child is in danger.' AMBER Alert issued for missing 5-year-old Ohio boy
'A selfless, steady leader:' Pacers Herb Simon is longest team owner in NBA history
Meet the volunteers risking their lives to deliver Christmas gifts to children in Haiti
Padres believe last year's disaster taught them a valuable lesson heading into 2024
Pacers and Indianapolis use 3-year delay to add new wrinkles to 1st NBA All-Star weekend since 1985
House Homeland chairman announces retirement a day after leading Mayorkas’ impeachment